The documents and processes that appear below may vary depending on your country of origin. This article refers to people belonging to the European Union.

Documents required to travel around Europe by Camper van

In the last  few years La Furiosa  (our camper van) has travelled to places such as Belgrade, Athens and Edinburgh, after our experience we want to share some tips and suggestions.

What documents do I need to travel with my van?

As a member of the European Union you should have with you the same documents that are required in your country:

  • Passport or ID
  • Driving license
  • Vehicle registration document
  • Motor insurance certificate

If you leave the European Union and drive into Albania, Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro and Macedonia you will also need:

  • International Driving Permit
  • Green Card

What should I do when crossing borders?

It is easy to cross the borders by road between countries under the Shengen Agreement, you do not need to worry about anything as there are no border stations currently active.

All you will see is a panel with the name of the country you are entering, and the speed limits.

Do I have to put the sticker?

PEGATINA E webTo travel abroad it is required to bear near the rear license plate a regulation nationality sticker, designating the country in which the vehicle was registered. In the case of Spain, an white oval sticker shaped with the letter “E” in black.

If you’re travelling on any EU country, you can use the equivalent new license plate, which has a blue ribbon on the side, with the stars of the European Community on it and the letter “E” below. ( letter of your country )

In which countries are there tolls? Do I need to buy the vignette?

As far as we know, highways in Europe are free in the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. In other countries such as Greece and UK, motorways are free, although there may be a tunnel or bridge where you might have to pay.

In countries such as Slovenia and Austria a vignettes system is used. It is a sticker you can  purchase in gas stations and gives you the right to move freely on the highways. The price and duration of the vignette is variable depending on the country.

In others countries like Romania and Bulgaria is used another vignette system which is different that the previous one, regardless if you drive on the highway,secondary road or anyother, you must have it for the length of your stay in the country. In both countries you can buy it on the border.

  • Romania the vignete price for a week is 3,50€.
  • Bulgaria for a week is 8€ and for a whole month is 15€.

Get inspired and learn how to live the VAN LIFE with useful tips, links, resources, recommendations and all the information needed to live on road.

Click HERE if you want to read more about “Guide to living the Van Life” or click the YELLOW button to start the download

[purchase_link id=”7070″ style=”button” color=”yellow” text=”Buy It Now” direct=”true”]

Our advice:

 avoid highways, apart from saving money it is much more enjoyable.

How to cross from Italy to Croatia without paying Slovenia vignette?

Slovenia has a highway section of 15 km between Italy and the province of Istria, in Croatia, which you might want to avoid in order to save the 15 € toll.

It is easy to miss the exit and enter the highway, once there… no way back , so pay attention and do as followed:

  • Start crossing the border from the Italian side of Rabuiese/Muggia
  • Right after crossing the border we will see and OMV petrol station on the right hand side, where we must drive into
  • From the Petrol Station we take the local road towards Hrvatini (Crevatini) and Skofije
  • Once on the road, follow the yellow signs and the directions to : Skofije, Bertoki, St. Anton, Pula and Dragonja.
  • Once you past Koper, it´s done! Just continue driving to Croatia.

Here you have a map for you to know the route 😉


How much cost to travel through Europe in a camper van?

Click on the pictute below

Where to sleep for FREE in Europe

Click on the picture below

And you, have you travelled through Europe?

Leave us a comment and tell us your experiences

Deja un comentario

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *