Taking care of the underside of the van
When you buy a brand new van it is impeccable, spotless. It is ready to sleep on the beach, in the mountains, in the snow….anywhere.
The underside of the vans are impregnated with an anticorrosion products that protect it from rusting. Those products also protect the underside of the van against small gravel and other minor bumps.
Obviously, as time passes, moisture, water, salt, mud and the gravel that the wheels thrown against the underside of the van, make this products disappear, giving way to corrosion on our home with wheels.
We want the van to keep doing as good as it has been performing until now, therefore we have decided to take care not only of the engine but also underneath of the van.
The process is very simple, it takes no more than a day and it is not so expensive. Apart from the materials, you only need a place to lift the van or either to park it somewhere that allows you to get under it. Our friends of SIRDAUTO allowed us to use their mechanic workshop in order to carry out the whole process.
- Brush with metal bristles
- 750 ml of Water Rust converter (convert rust into a black layer)
- 3 x 400 ml cans of Tar spray anti-gravel
- Surgical mask (supper cheap)
- 4 hours of your precious time ✌️
We can get the products on the links below:
Get inspired and learn how to live the VAN LIFE with useful tips, links, resources, recommendations and all the information needed to live on road
Click HERE if you want to read more about «Guide to living the Van Life» or click the YELLOW button to start the download
- The first thing we have to do once we are under the van is to scrape the joins, weld and other rusted part with the brush with metal bristles. It will allow the rust converter and the anti-gravel spray to stick and set better on all part.
- After scraping we should use a cloth to clean all the dust and remains.
- It is always better to cover with paper all part where the products must not be apply, such as brake discs, mechanical connections …
- Once this areas are covered we use the brush to apply the anticorrosion product. Give two layers of it when possible.
- We must let the product dry for about 8 hours, and apply the anti-gravel spray afterwards.
- We recommend covering the floor with cardboard or paper as the paint can drip while we apply it.
- Wear gloves and mask when using tar spray.
- Depending on the size of your van you must buy more or less paint. These quantities are more than enough for our van VW T4.
Once it is done, the van is ready to roll
This simple process will avoid future damage and considerably delay the process of corrosion on the underside of our home with wheels.
Some of the links that appear in this article are affiliate links. That means that we get a small commission for each sale. This helps us to maintain the website and of course it helps us to continue crossing borders and telling stories that we could not otherwise tell. For you it is totally FREE, it will not suppose you any extra cost and all the recommendations that are here is because we really think that they can help you in your road trip.
DO NOT MISS ⬇️